Hi everyone! Hope your Wednesday is off to a good start!
Last night I met one of my best friends for dinner and found out that she is moving to Chicago next week! Ahhh that is soooo soon :(. She got a new job and everything happened so fast!
Sam and I became friends in college. We were sorority twins (meaning we had the same big…sorry for the sorority lingo) and were dorm roomies for sophomore year. Then we lived in the same house junior and senior year. Sam became and still is one of my dearest friends!
Sam and I are somewhat different from one another, but I think that is part of the reason we get along so well. I like to go to bed early, she’s a night owl. I’m pretty quiet and can be very shy while Sam is very talkative and extremely outgoing. But, we share similar values in life and we balance one another out. Living with her was one of the best times of my life! The fact that we were able to be roommates and still be great friends is amazing- I don’t think a lot of people can do that successfully.
I’m going to miss Sam so much when she moves! Yes, our friendship has been long distance since I moved to Boston, but she was a friend I could count on seeing every time I came home to Columbus. Now she won’t be here :(. I guess that just means I will be making a trip to Chicago soon- I’ve never been!
Even though Sam is moving, I know that we will remain great friends! She is the kind of person that I know I want to keep in touch with and be friends with for a lifetime :). We don’t necessarily talk all the time or even see each other that often- but every time we do it’s like no time has passed and we are instantly able to pick up where we left off. I think that is a mark of a good friendship!
All of this got me to thinking about some of the things that I think make a good friend. To me a friend is:
- Someone who accepts you and all of your craziness
- Someone who you can have fun with while drunk AND sober
- Someone who cares about what is going on in your life
- Someone who realizes that friendship is a two-way street – both parties have to make an effort
- Someone who you don’t have to see/talk to all the time, but with whom you can pick up right where you left off
- Someone who is there for you when you need it, and even when you don’t
- Someone who can make you laugh
- Someone who makes you feel good about yourself
- Someone who tells you when you need to change your outfit because you look like crap/a hoochie mama/a nun etc.
- Someone who will laugh and cry with you
- Someone you can tell your darkest secrets and they won’t share them with anyone else
- Someone who won’t talk behind your back
- Someone you can disagree with but it won’t hurt your friendship
- Someone you can share silence with and not feel awkward
- Basically, someone who loves you no matter what 🙂
I think having great friends is really important, but I would also rather have several really close friends than a bunch of acquaintances. That’s just how I am :).
Anyway, Chris and I are traveling to Florida tomorrow and won’t be back until Sunday! He is moving to Boca Raton next month to start grad school :). I’m SO proud of him! This weekend we are trying to find him an apartment and to just explore the area. I can’t wait! I have some awesome guest posts coming these next few days, so stay tuned!! Love you all!
What qualities do you think a good friend has?
Would you rather have a lot of so-so friends or a few really good ones?
Do you have close friends that live in other cities? How do you maintain your friendship?