Happy Friday everyone!
****Don’t forget to enter my giveaway! Tomorrow I’m announcing the 2 winners 🙂 ****
My calves were still super duper sore this morning, so I opted for an impromptu rest day instead of my scheduled lifting sesh. It hurt so bad to walk down the stairs and I figured that resting my legs just means that they will be fresh for a great workout tomorrow!
I did some shopping today :). I’m trying not to spend a lot of money right now because I don’t have a job and I’m in grad school…so that basically means that my savings account continues to disappear :(. BUT, I still have some b-day money to spend and I think my two purchases are really worthwhile.
First, I bought a new wallet!
I have needed a new wallet for some time now, but I couldn’t find one that cute without being a mini fortune. My mom and I went to an accessories store today called Charming Charlie. I LOVE that place! It’s set up in sections by color, so all of the pinks are together, all the blues together, etc. This store has awesome prices. My wallet was only $15 :). And, it’s not cheap stuff that will fall apart immediately either…so that’s good!
I also purchased Mama Pea’s cookbook!!!!
I am SO freaking excited to make some of these recipes! I am not vegetarian at all. I love meat too much…but I do enjoy vegetarian meals! You guys should definitely check out this cookbook. I’ve only skimmed it and I already know that it is awesome :).
As I was trying to take pictures of my purchases Cooper wasn’t too happy about it. He kept getting in the way of my camera and was walking all over my stuff haha. He is so needy sometimes…but I love him!
Adjusting How I Shop
Okay, so I love to shop. Now I’m not a person who goes crazy with their credit card every weekend, but I do like to get new things every once in a while. Does that make me a bad person? No. But sometimes, I feel guilty about buying something for myself. You see I’m paying for grad school and taking out loans for it, so I’m already in debt and that scares me. I’m a person that likes to save money, and right now with no paycheck coming in that isn’t happening. And that scares me too. I don’t want to have to become dependent on my parents for money.
Sometimes I wonder if maybe I just shouldn’t allow myself to shop for clothes and accessories until I’m done with grad school and have a job. But then I think – no, I work really hard in school and I do have enough money in my savings to get me through until I’m done, so it won’t hurt if I get a new thing here and there. I enjoy fashion and style- so why shouldn’t I let myself get some things? Plus, it’s not like I go spend outrageous amounts of money. As I’ve gotten older I’ve learned to appreciate a sale and shopping at stores with lower prices (Target, Macys, and Old Navy anyone?). Although, I do tend to spend a little more on jeans. I wear jeans ALL THE TIME, and finding a pair that fits me well is really hard- so I think splurging a little on those is okay 🙂
I’ve definitely had to adjust how I shop now that I’m trying to use my own money and become and independent woman. Here are some of the things I’ve done-
- I’ve signed up for discount retail sites like Rue La La, Ideeli, and Hautelook. I don’t always buy stuff from these sites, but they can have amazing deals!
- I’m learning to recognize the types of clothes that I wear. There are always awesome new stylish items coming out, but if I’m not really going to wear that boyfriend blazer a lot, then I’m not going to buy it. In the past I probably would have, but now I know to only buy the things that I will get good use out of.
- For my birthday and Christmas, I’ve asked for gift cards to my favorite stores- that way I will HAVE to spend the money on something I want, whereas if I had gotten cash I probably would have just put it in the bank.
- I try to find the stylish things at cheaper stores. You can find awesome and in style pieces at Target and Kohls if you look for them. I mean, you never know unless you look right? Plus, the styles change so often anyway that what’s the point in splurging on something that will be dated next season? I would rather spend more money on pieces that will last.
- I’m trying to learn to accessorize more. Scarves, fun jewelry, or a cute bag can all make a plain outfit look awesome!
Anyhoo…those are some of the ways that I’m trying to change how I shop so that I can manage my money well and won’t feel so guilty when I treat myself to a fashionable item.
Have you ever tried any of Mama Pea’s recipes?
How do you budget for shopping? Did you change your shopping ways when you stopped depending on your parents for money?