Not Meant for Speed and A Pasta Recipe
Hi guys! 🙂
Yesterday was one long ass day of driving. It took us about 12 hours and 30 minutes to get from Ohio to Boston. Let’s just say I was really sick of driving!
Thankfully I unpacked all of my stuff last night. I just didn’t want to deal with it this morning. A lot of the day was spent getting me settled again. My mom and I woke up and since I didn’t have any food in the house, we ran over to Whole Foods and just got the breakfast necessities- coffee, creamer, oatmeal, peanut butter, and bananas.
Oh my gosh, I bought the So Delicious Coconut Milk Creamer in french vanilla flavor and it really was sooo delicious ;). I’ve never had it before and I will definitely be buying this from now on!
After breakfast we went to the gym and I had my first “speed work” day for my 10k training. Let’s just say it didn’t work out so well. I don’t think my stomach can handle me running very fast for much longer than 2 minutes. I was supposed to run a total of 4 miles which included- a warm-up jog, 3x800m in 4:15min with 3x400m recovery jogs, and a cool-down jog.
The first 800m at a faster pace was fine. The second one, I felt like I had severe burning in my stomach, but I pushed through it. The third one, I had to run much slower and after that the rest of my run felt like absolute crap. I finished the entire 4 miles but I did not feel good at the end. My stomach felt like it was going up into my chest, my mouth was incredibly dry, I almost felt like I wanted to throw up….AND my face was the reddest color I have seen in a really long time. I’m pretty sure my 8 mile run last Friday felt way better than this one did.
So, maybe I shouldn’t really focus on speed work? I mean, I’m not trying to increase my speed…I just want to finish the 10k and feel good at the end.
Anyhoo…after working out, taking our showers, and eating lunch we went to the grocery store to stock me up. So excited to have my cabinet and area of the fridge/freezer full :).
Tonight my mom, roommate Kelly, and I made a fabulous dinner! Once again, I used my “The Best of Clean Eating” cookbook.
Chicken Pomodoro Angel Hair Pasta
- 1 box whole wheat angel hair pasta
- 9 baby carrots, roughly chopped
- Olive oil
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast tenderloins
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 lb fresh Roma tomatoes, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 2 Tbsp dried basil
- Sea salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 oz low-fat feta cheese, crumbled
- 4 Tbsp minced Italian flat-leaf parsley
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside, keep warm.
- Bring a small pot of water to boil. Boil chopped carrots for about 8 minutes- this is to make them tender. Set aside.
- Set a large nonstick skillet over high heat for one minute. Drizzle with olive oil and add chicken. Saute chicken for about 3-4 minutes per side or until browned and cooked through. Remove chicken from heat, let rest for about a minute, then cut into chunks.
- Heat same skillet again over high heat for 1 minute. Reduce heat to medium, add more olive oil and add onion and garlic. Saute for about 5 minutes or until onion is translucent. Add tomatoes and cook for another 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- In a food processor, roughly puree carrots and onion-tomato mixture or pulse for about 2-3 minutes. Pour sauce into a medium-size pot and heat over medium heat. Stir in Italian seasoning and basil and season with salt and pepper.
- Mix pasta, chicken, and sauce in one large bowl. Garnish with parsley and feta cheese.
This pasta was so light and fresh tasting! It was very tasty :).
I hope you’re all having a great night!
Do you bother with speed work if you aren’t trying to increase your running pace?
What is your favorite kind of pasta?