Walk it Out
Hi friends :).
Yesterday was my first day of my last day of school! After this school year, there will be no more classes!!! Eeee that’s exciting!
One thing that I will miss about being on a college campus though, is all of the walking that occurs.
The school I went to in undergrad was a “college town” and therefore you could walk pretty much everywhere. I walked to class, to the gym, to the dining halls, to the bars, etc. I think the only times I really drove were to the grocery store and when the weather was bad.
My grad school is in more of an urban area and so less walking occurs, but it definitely still happens. My roommates and I walk to class every single day and the gym we joined is like a minute walk from our apartment.
I like walking as a means of transportation. It gives me an excuse to get off my ass and get the blood circulating. So many people, myself often included, go to the gym and get a great workout in and then sit on their butts for the rest of the day. I know that whenever I have gone home for breaks, I end up sitting way more than I do while I’m at school. Part of that is because I live in suburbia and you have to drive to anywhere you want to go.
Sitting all day long isn’t good for anyone…even for those of us who do exercise most days of the week. Being sedentary for too many hours of the day can be bad for your heart and it can be bad for the hips, spine, and shoulders. Exercising and having an active lifestyle aren’t necessarily the same thing. It’s important to keep moving during the day, even after a workout, and walking is one of the simplest and cheapest ways you can do that.
So yes, I will miss the built-in activity that occurs during my days when I leave school. I guess I’ll just have to be more cautious about how many hours of the day I am sedentary and remind myself to make a conscious effort to move my booty in one way or another :). Thankfully the career I’m pursuing will allow me to be on my feet during the workday…otherwise if I had an office job I think I would seriously consider investing in one of these:
This is like the blissful blogger post I did last week in that I’m supposed to provide you with 7 facts about myself…so I’ll just give you 7 more!
7 Random Facts about Moi
- I wear glasses for reading.
- I barely have an arch…I’m pretty much flat-footed.
- The thumbnail on my right hand is my second one. I smashed my thumb in a door when I was 5 and broke it. Doctors had to remove the nail, so a second one grew in.
- One of my front teeth is “dead”. I got hit in the face with a soccer ball while I had braces on and it killed the tooth. Thankfully it’s not black because my dentist decided to bleach it on the inside after I had a root canal :D.
- When I was little, I liked to pretend that my bike was a horse.
- My hands get cold really easily.
- Sometimes, I turn red when all of the attention is on me and I don’t want it to be or I don’t expect it….and that in itself is embarrassing haha.
Now, I nominate anyone who wants to do this!! Seriously, you are all awesome :).
Tell me a random fact about yourself!
Do you like to walk everywhere?
If you have a sedentary job, how do you fit in extra activity?