Saturday Stretching – Hip Flexors
Hello friends!! I hope you are all having a great Saturday so far. Um…can we talk about how there is a winter storm heading toward Boston?? And that my area is supposed to get 3-5 inches of snow tonight!! It’s freaking October! Thank goodness I will be escaping the cold and going to Florida to see Chris in less than two weeks :D.
This week I’ve noticed how incredibly tight my hip flexors are. I’m talking reallllyyyy tight people. Yesterday they were so tight that it was hard to lift my leg up when I was sitting in a chair. My hip flexors are an area that always seems to get really tight on me. I’ve tried stretching them out but I think I need to come up with some different types of stretches in order for them to really feel better.
So, I decided to look up different stretches that target the hip flexors and I thought I’d share them with you all! It’s really common for people to have tight hip flexors from sitting all day and running, and if they are too tight it can lead to lower back pain.
I’m thinking of starting a blog series on stretching. What do you guys think? I figure each week (until I run out of areas) I’ll do some research and find a bunch of different stretches that target different areas of the body. I think it can be beneficial to a bunch of different stretches to use so you aren’t always doing the same ones and so that you can really work on stretching the muscles fully! You all can let me know which muscles seem to get really tight on you that way I can cater the posts to your interests!
Stretching is so incredibly important and it’s something that I often neglect as part of my workout routine. Here are some of the benefits of stretching:
- It can increase flexibility, which is important for functioning in most activities
- Improves blood flow to the muscles
- It can help improve posture
- Improves coordination and balance
- Helps alleviate lower back pain
- Can help relieve stress by relaxing tense muscles
- Increase the length of relaxed muscles
In case you aren’t sure what you’re hip flexors are, they are a group of muscles that act to flex the thigh bone/pull the knee upward.
Hip Flexor Stretches
1. Kneeling hip flexor stretch
2. Lying hip flexor stretch
3. Side lying hip flexor stretch
4. Face down hip flexor stretches
5. Cobra pose
6. Camel pose
Okay, there ya go! I (and you guys) now have more stretches that you can complete to lengthen your hip flexors! The only one I usually do is kneeling one. It will be really nice to have more exercises to rotate through so that I can ensure my hip flexors are getting a good stretch!
1. Do you guys like the idea of a stretching blog series??
2. Do you get tight hip flexors too? What stretches do you use for them?
3. What areas of your body tend to get the tightest?