Recharging Your Batteries
Hi friends! I hope your weekend is going well :).
Today I wanted to talk about relaxing and recharging your batteries.
I think relaxation and giving ourselves a chance to recharge are so, so important because when we become too stressed, or run down, or too caught up in the less important things we are doing ourselves a disservice. Not only can these things be bad for our body if they aren’t taken care of but they can prevent us from thinking clearly, seeing the beauty and greatness in the things around us, having good relationships, feeling successful in the areas of our life that matter, and above all – being happy.
Of course, you can’t prevent getting stressed out or run down or getting caught up in something. That’s a part of life. But we can find ways to take control (which in itself can help make us feel better) and in a sense “renew” ourselves so that we feel fresh, happy, and ready to face the world.
This week, I have been feeling stressed, caught up in the little and stupid things, and run down. It’s definitely not because of school because I’ve only had 1 full week of class and we haven’t done much haha. I don’t know the exact reason I’ve felt this way, but I do think it has something to do with being sad about my grandpa.
That’s why yesterday I decided to recharge my batteries. I knew on Thursday when I was getting worked up about something stupid on my blog and when my body felt shaky and crappy during my workout that I needed to take action.
Here are some of the ways that I recharged yesterday:
1. I took an unplanned rest day. As I said my body felt shaky, weird, and crappy during my workout on Thursday and so I decided to give it a break. I already feel so much better this morning!
2. I took a nap. In college I was a huge napper but ever since I started grad school I’ve always had a hard time falling asleep in the afternoon. I decided to lay down and as soon as my head hit the pillow, I felt my eyelids getting heavy, and I took a nice little slumber (so nice I’m pretty sure I drooled a bit haha ;)).
3. I purchased and started reading a devotional. It’s called “Love Out Loud” by Joyce Meyer and it focuses on loving God, loving yourself, and loving others. I already love it.
4. I watched a couple of chick flicks with my roommate. Bonding with a friend and watching cute movies is always fun for me. We rented “What’s Your Number” and both thought it was really cute! And when it was over we saw that “Pretty Women” was on tv…I love Julia Roberts :).
5. I snuggled with Zoey. There is something so calming and soothing about petting her and hearing her purr. And she doesn’t always let me do a lot of snuggling but for some reason last night she did- perhaps she knew that I needed it.
6. I had leftovers for dinner. This may seem strange, but since I’m not that great of a cook, it can be stressful for me to try and decide what creative thing I should make for a meal. So last night I said “eff it” and heated up my leftover pork and apples and called it a night.
These are the ways I recharged and relaxed yesterday…and today I feel so much better. Some days, a super hard workout or going out for a night on the town are ways for me to recharge. Yesterday, I wanted a break, so I took one :).
How do you know when you need to recharge?
What are your favorite ways to do so?